Finding the Best Surgeon for You

Finding the right physician to treat your pelvic organ prolapse (POP) or stress urinary incontinence (SUI) is a very important step in seeking treatment. There are several specialties that may treat POP or SUI, but even within each specialty there will be physicians who specialize in certain conditions and treatment options. Taking time to do your research can make all the difference in the care you receive. Below is some information to help you get started. Remember to ask questions and get references. Be your own advocate to find the best fit for you.

Gynecologists specialize in health care for women, especially the diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the female reproductive organs. This specialty includes a range of things so it is important to ask questions to understand what each particular gynecologist specializes in. Don’t be shy. Ask how many others with your condition the gynecologist treats in a given month. If your gynecologist focuses more on Obstetrics than pelvic floor surgeries, it may be best to find someone more focused on the care you need.

Urologists provide care for both men and women and focus on  the urinary tract and urogenital system – your kidneys, bladder, and urethra. If you have stress urinary incontinence, this may be the right specialist to seek. Some Urologists perform pelvic floor repair surgeries, but this is dependent on the surgeon, so be sure to ask questions.

Urogynecologists are highly specialized – focusing on women’s reproductive and urinary tract systems. This specialist performs treatments for both pelvic organ prolapse and stress urinary incontinence. Since these conditions are often linked, seeing a Urogynecologist may be a good option for you. With that in mind, don’t forget to ask any questions you have to help you feel confident in your healthcare provider. Ask for references or seek information on health care provider review sites.