Are You a Mesh Candidate?
Is mesh right for you?
There is a lot of talk about mesh these days and it is important to be informed before you make a decision. You can learn the whole story about mesh here, but below are a few major factors to keep in mind. Ultimately, only you and your doctor can decide if mesh is a good option for treating your medical condition.
Mesh is something you should consider if you:
- have a severe prolapse that affects your everyday life
- have had prior procedures that have failed
- have a high risk for recurrence
These are things you should discuss thoroughly with your doctor.
Mesh is something you should consider avoiding if you:
- have uncontrolled diabetes
- have received radiation in the pelvic area
- are regularly prescribed steroids
- have a known sensitivity or allergy to polypropylene
There are additional factors why mesh may or may not be a good fit for you. Have a thorough conversation with your doctor about your medical history, your current medical condition, and your expectations regarding a medical procedure to permanently implant a medical device in your pelvic area before you make your individual decision.